
Newcastle United handed James Trafford and Yoane Wissa transfer updates after Hugo Ekitike setback
Latest Newcastle United transfer news and gossip with an update on the futures of Brentford forward Yoane Wissa and Burnley goalkeeper James Trafford
Mark has been a football journalist since 2017 and has contributed to several publications including the Liverpool Echo, Manchester Evening News and football.london. He also spent eight months on the US Sports team for the Mirror US
The Magpies are continuing to assess the transfer market for new signings ahead of their return to Premier League action next month. Anthony Elanga has already been signed by Newcastle this summer in a £55million deal and there is the potential for more new additions to come.
United have until September 1 to complete their transfer business for the summer, but it seems that one target may be unavailable in the near future.
James Trafford update
Transfer specialist Fabrizio Romano has reported that Manchester City are pushing ahead in their efforts to sign Burnley goalkeeper James Trafford. Newcastle have expressed an interest in signing the shot-stopper earlier in the summer, with Trafford himself believed to be keen on a move to St James’ Park.
Transfer chief spotted, William Osula boost and pre-season hint given in Newcastle United clash
Newcastle United get ‘strong’ message from PIF on Alexander Isak and transfers
The report has claimed that City are in talks with Burnley over a deal to sign Trafford, who they sold to the Clarets in the summer of 2023. City are reported to have a buy-back clause in the deal worth £40million, with it being claimed that they are looking to agree a fee lower than that figure.
Despite the interest from City, it has been stressed that a move for Trafford will depend on what happens with the futures of Ederson and Stefan Ortega.
Craig Hope of the Daily Mail claims that Newcastle are prepared to move on from their interest in Trafford. While a deal is not completely dead, the club are said to be happy with their current goalkeeper situation, adding that Man City interest has been in the background all summer.
Chronicle Live says: “Trafford has been a target for Newcastle all summer, so the development that Man City are interested is not good news, to say the least. If it comes down to Trafford’s personal choice on a move to either Newcastle or City, the Magpies will be hoping that the goalkeeper chooses Tyneside over Manchester.”
Yoane Wissa boost
Elsewhere, Newcastle may have been handed a boost in their hopes of signing Brentford star Yoane Wissa. BBC Sport have reported that the Bees have been unsuccessful in their attempts to hand Wissa a new contract.
Newcastle have been credited with an interest in signing Wissa this summer, although Mbeumo’s impending move to Man United may affect Brentford’s transfer stance. Wissa, it has been reported, is said to be keen on a move away from the Bees which could give the Magpies encouragement that a transfer may be possible.
Chronicle Live says: “Wissa has been linked with a move to Newcastle for some time, and it’s clear that a new forward is on the agenda following their pursuit of Ekitike at Frankfurt. It remains to be seen if Wissa would want a move to St James’ Park specifically, but if the latest update is true then it’s good news for Eddie Howe and Co.”
How to follow our NUFC WhatsApp channel
Did you know you can now get Newcastle United stories on WhatsApp? As well as our NUFC communities, we also have a channel dedicated to sending you the best news, opinion and analysis on all things black-and-white.
All you have to do is follow our channel on WhatsApp by clicking this link or you can find us by searching Chronicle Newcastle United.
Updates will then automatically appear if you select the Updates option on your WhatsApp menu and selecting the ‘Chronicle – Newcastle United’ channel. It’s as easy as that. There are already thousands signed up, but remember to turn your notifications on so don’t miss out.
Leave a Reply